Shambhala Scholarships enables further study towards a career in business leadership
To provide the foundation for business leadership we offer scholarships that assist LGBT students study further toward careers in business leadership. recipients must pay-it-forward through community service to the LGBT community and preferably the LGBT business community.
How many scholarships are there?
Six scholarships were awarded for the 2015 academic year. Read more about the successful recipients here.
There are ten R 25, 000 (Twenty five thousand rand) scholarships available for the 2016 academic year. Applications are now open. Students from all fields of study are invited to apply. Click here to download the application form.
How do we choose recipients?
The scholarships are available for undergrad or post-grad tertiary education study where the chosen field of study will equip the student to pursue a career with the objective of business leadership. There are no set rules about the study and the students are to motivate why their chosen field of study fits with the organisation's objectives.
Students who demonstrate leadership, with the best motivation, greatest potential (measured by inter alia academic performance and leadership qualities) and most financial need will gain preference during the selection process.
Why the community service?
The scholarship are awarded to deserving individuals and are a grant in nature. However, the recipients are expected to provide voluntary service to the LGBT community, with the objective of promoting and supporting LGBT business leadership, in return for the grant.
Recipient must report on their community service on a regular basis. At least twice a year, all the current and past recipients in particular regions will meet to network, meet new friends and discuss their contribution to the LGBT business leadership.
What are the rules?
The following rules apply to the scholarships:
- funds will be paid directly to the education institution for fees and related expenses. Any balance (up to 20%) of the scholarship can be applied towards learning aids such as books, internet access and materials.
- acceptable performance in academics (normally 65%) and community service is required in order to qualify recipients for scholarships for subsequent years of study.
- if recipients fail to complete their intended course of study, then the scholarship will convert to a loan and become repayable to Shambhala.
- The Shambhala Organisation has a strict NO DRUGS policy. Mandatory drug tests will be carried out as part of the interview process and before any disbursements.
- Scholars are to dine with board once a year.
- Scholarships will only be awarded to deserving candidates who are able to demonstrate their sustainability and fit with the objectives of the Shambhala Organisation. The Shambhala Organisation reserves the right to reduce the number of scholarships awarded if insufficient deserving candidates apply.
How do I apply?
This is how to apply for one of the scholarships:
- Complete the application form electronically or in handwriting and scan the form.
- Answer the essay questions (between 300 and 500 words per answer). Answers to the essay questions should be typed.
- Supporting documents are to include your CV (max 2 pages), ID Book and full academic transcripts.
- Additional supporting documents should include at least 2 letters of recommendation (max 2 pages), details of your proposed field of study and other information that you believe will assist your application.
- Email all documents to email@example.com
What are the deadlines?
Applications received before the 31 August 2015 will be considered in the first round of evaluations. Successful applicants will be informed by the 31 October 2015. Scholarships will be awarded to deserving candidates. If, there are any scholarships that are not awarded in the first round, then the second round of evaluations will be on applications received before 31 October 2015. Successful applicants will be informed by 31 December 2015.